Kochi Metro is a rapid transit system running through Kochi in Kerala, India, for 5 years. It was open for public convenience within these five years, starting from construction to being the fastest-completed metro project in India.
The Kochi metro is the first Metro ever in India that connects with the Rail, Road, and water transport facilities. The owner who is operating the Kochi Metro is the Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL).
In October 2017, Kochi Metro was awarded the “Best Urban Mobility” project in India by the Urban Development Ministry and part of the Urban Mobility India (UMI) international conference hosted by the ministry every year.
The construction for the Kochi Metro began in June 2013; therefore, by 17 June 2017, a 13.4 km section line was operated and opened to passengers from Aluva to Palarivattom by the Hon’ble Prime Minister, Mr. Narendra Modi.
The second line of 5 km from Palarivattom to Maharaja’s College metro station was inaugurated on 3 October 2017. Another section of 5.65 km from Maharaja’s College Stadium to Thaikoodam was inaugurated and began its operational journey on 3 September 2019. This was green-flagged by Kerala’s Hon’ble Chief Minister, Mr. Pinarayi Vijayan, and Union Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs, Mr. Hardeep Singh Puri. Kochi Metro has technology for driverless trains, which they might use in the future.
Kochi Metro was praised because they gave employment to kudumbashree workers who belong to the transgender community. It is the world’s first rapid transit system that women completely manage. The Kochi metro has a unique theme design based on Kerala’s rich heritage and geography.
The system involved sustainable initiatives that introduced non-motorized transport corridors in the city, installing solar panels for power and vertical gardens on every sixth metro pillar.
They adopted a single card apart from regular normal tickets, a single timetable, and precise command and control.
A special purpose Vehicle (SPV) was built for the Kochi Metro Rail. The former Prime minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh, Laid the Project in 2012, and on 1 September 2022, they laid the foundation for the corridor of phase-2, the prime minister Mr. Narendera Modi.
The Alstom Metropolis Train, which has three carriages, is utilized by The Kochi Metro, which is 66.55 meters long and has 136 seats to carry approx. 957 passengers. At Muttom Yard, the Kochi Metro Rail Limited included a new fleet, i.e., bringing a total 25 number of new trains, the speed of Kochi Metro is 80 km per hour.
Latest News On Kochi Metro:
On January 2023, the KIIFB (Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board) granted funds to Kochi Metro Rail Limited of Rs.102 crore for land accession. The authorities must access this land parcel to establish the Kakkanad Extenstion of Kochi metro phase 2.
After the land acquisition, the metro officials will start bidding on the Kochi Metro Station construction process. Phase 2 extension will be 11.17 km long, along with roads extended up to 22 meters in Kochi Metro.
Loknath Behera, the Managing Director of the Kochi Metro Rail Limited. “after selecting the consultants, the tender for constructing the metro viaduct(bridges) and stations can begin. We are preparing the civil works tender documentation.”
The roads between Chembumkku and Palavarittom Junction have been widened. However, the land accession process for the Chembumkku and Kunnumpuram stretch is still due. The Kunnumpuram-Infopark corridor is said to be completed soon.
November 2022, the committee members of the Kochi Metro to roll back the metro fare from March 2023. Authorities said this decision would be synced with the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs ( MoHUA). The ministry plans to rationalize the Metro Rail system’s metro fare/price structure in India. The metro corporation of Kochi wants to increase passenger ridership from 70,000 to 1 lakh.
KMRL to prepare the CMP for the Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode metro, KMRL has taken initial steps to prepare the Comprehensive Mobility Plan (CMP) for these two places and made a suitable model for both the metro projects also has written a letter for support from the administrations and mayors of Kerala.
Kochi Metro Route Lines:
Kochi Metro Rail Services is now available throughout the city of Kochi, with a whole elevated metro system because the network is completely over the ground connecting lines compromising several phases such as |, |A, |B, ||.
Kochi Has two metro lines that are currently operating ie. Blue Line from Aluva-Petta and Pink Line from JLN stadium-Infopark ||.
Blue Line: Phase | Of The Kochi Metro Route:
This is a single-line route that was operated on 17th June 2017, and the line forms a semicircle form of shape. Traveling first from northeast to southwest and then turning towards the east. The line is 23.8 km long and contains 22 active stations, covering the ranging wildlife in the Western Ghats to the local parts of Kerala. Every station has route features with a different theme based on Kerala’s rich culture of the abundant green life of the city.
Blue Line: Phase |A Of The Kochi Metro Route (Currently Under Construction):
Phase |A of the Kochi Metro extends 1.78 km and connects the Petta with SN. Therefore, the junction under phase-|A, two stations, namely Vadakkekotta and SN junction, along with an avant-garde Panamkutty Bridge, are all under construction.
Blue Line: Phase |B Of The Kochi Metro Route (Under construction):
Phase |B extensions will be extended 1.16 km from SN Junction to Tripunithura Terminal.
The cost to fully build this phase of the Kochi Metro Route is 162.98 crore.
Pink Line: Phase || Of The Kochi Metro
The Government of Kerala authorized Phase || of the Kochi Metro in July 2018. The pink line of the Kochi metro covers 11.2 km and has 11 active stations. Therefore the construction between the JLN Stadium and Infopark || Kakkanad is also a part of this phase of the Kochi metro. The second phase of the Kochi Metro also received approval from the union cabinet.
Kochi Metro Route Map:
Kochi Metro Rapid Transit System has only one phase currently running for the citizens of Kochi, and two more phases have been planned. They are under construction and will start operating soon in the future. The Petta and SN Junction parts of the Kochi Metro will be slated to open in June 2022 and begin with the trial run around late April.
Given below is the map, you can take a look at the metro routes, the stations, and important destinations as well.
Blue Line: Phase I Of The Kochi Metro Route:
- The stations which are active in phase | in the blue line of the Kochi Metro Route are as follows:
- Cochin University
- Changamphuza Park
- JLN Stadium
- Town Hall
- M.G Road
- Maharaja’s College
- Ernakulam South
- Alliance Junction
- SN Junction
Therefore 25 stations are running actively in the Kochi Metro Route of Blue Line phase-1.
Pink Line- Phase II Of The Kochi Metro Route:
The stations in the pink line of phase 2 of the Kochi Metro are as follows:
- JLN Stadium
- Palarivattom Junction
- Palarivattom Bypass
- Kakkanad Junction
- Cochin SEZ
- Info Park 1/ Smart city 1
- Info Park 2/ smart city 2
Kochi Metro Fare:
Kochi metro is considered inexpensive and hassle-free to travel around the beautiful city of Kerala. For each trip, you can purchase a single entry ticket immediately from the metro station, and group tickets are also available if traveling in a group. Therefore, group tickets are purchased from the ticket counters.
- The initial minimum fare in the blue line is Rs.10
- And the maximum ticket cost on the Kochi Metro’s blue line is Rs.60.
- However, suppose you start traveling from the Aluva Metro Station. In that case, it costs Rs.30 to reach Cochin University Metro Station, to JLN Stadium Metro Station is Rs.40, and the Petta Metro Station is Rs.60.
- It usually depends on the distance the metro rail covers, and the fare changes according to that.
Kochi Metro Timings:
Kochi Metro is the fastest Transit system, saving up a lot of time if you are traveling. It is a cheap alternative that prevents you from traveling by those other congested road vehicles, traveling from one part to another and making you reach your destination on time.
- Kochi Metro starts at 6:00 am and to 10:30 pm from Monday to Saturday, from 8:00 am to 10:30 pm on Sundays.
- It usually takes 21 minutes to cover the route between Aluva Metro Station and Petta Metro Station.
- And 7 minutes to cover the distance between Pathadipalam to Petta Metro Station and 16 minutes to cover the Aluva to Cochin University Route.
Kochi Metro timings from Monday to Saturday.
Kochi Metro Mobile Ticketing System:
The best feature of Kochi Metro is that the passengers can easily buy or pay for the tickets by using their smartphones as they have to download an app called “Koch1,” a mobile application like the google play store, or for IOS phones, apple store.
The steps to use the mobile ticketing system are as follows:
- Download the app “Koch1” from the play store or apple store.
- Then create an account in that app, and your mPIN will be generated.
- Then you have to choose your boarding and destination stations.
- Then it will show you the amount of the ticket, can choose the digital payment mode after selecting the boot ticket option.
- Following the payment process, a QR code will scan the QR code at the metro station’s entry point.
Kochi1 Axis Bank Mobile Application:
In January 2022, Axis Bank launched a mobile app called Koch1 for the Kochi Metro to help commuters they can operate their koch1 metro cards through mobile.
Below are the steps of the services the Koch1 metro card app offers the users
- QR Ticktet: Passengers with or without a kochi1 metro card can purchase a QR Ticket for one way or even roundtrip using the Quick-book option in the kochi1 mobile app. You can pay for these tickets according to the different modes of payment like net banking, UPI, or Debit Card/Credit Card.
- Easy Refunds: You can get a refund if you want to cancel your tickets without any problem through this application.
- Ticket Status: Passengers can check their ticket status before or while traveling using the kochi1 mobile app.
- Kochi1 Card Recharge: Passengers can check or add balance to their kochi1 metro card using the app and payment methods, including net banking, UPI, and Debit/Credit card.
- Kochi Metro Details: This mobile app can give easy access to passengers to learn about the details of the Kochi Metro.
Top Features And Benefits Of Koch1 Axis Bank Mobile App:
Find the benefits and top features of the Kochi1 mobile application below this:
- One-stop Platform: This App has a one-stop platform for all the Kochi Metro Related Services. Therefore passengers can do everything in this app, from booking tickets to checking the status or recharging the kochi1 metro card.
- Simple Navigation: Koch1 Axis Bank mobile app has simple navigation that helps the users to visit the suitable section and get important information in a few taps.
- Realtime Updates: This app is linked with the Kochi Metro Online Portal and updated in real-time. Therefore, this mobile application can access all the necessary information regarding the metro train, like timings and others.
- Feedback/Suggestion: There is a section in the app where the passengers can give feedback and suggestions for better improvement for the Kochi metro.
Metro Smart Parking:
The Kochi metro uses technologically modernized parking along with the traditional parking system in their parking lots, allowing parking facilities at metro stations to operate more efficiently without any hassle for the passengers.
The main goal is to use the technology securely, easily, and conveniently at the metro stations’ parking lots. Kochi metro stations’ parking lots have advanced CCTV cameras and sensors, keeping a security check at a proper level.
However, all stations except Aluva, Edappally, MG Road, Kalamaserry, and Cusat are proposed to have free parking zones, where the assistance of security is required to handle, and a modest amount of fees is collected in these stations.
Those not traveling via the Kochi metro and keeping their vehicles for over two hours will be charged Rs. 30 as a fine.
Kochi Metro Public Bicycle Facility:
To help the passengers to get to the stations, the KMRL has started Bicycle facilities like PBS (Public Bike Sharing) system from JLN Stadium metro station in Kochi., allowing the MYBYK app to be part of the system. Travelers can register from the app and use the bicycle from the docking station.
Travelers can also hire bikes from the docking station to reach the next metro station and rent a bicycle from the departing metro station to the neighboring areas.
Around 300 cycles have been installed by the start-up across 35 MYBYK Hubs throughout the city. It also plans to add 700 more cycles and 65+ hubs, and 21 stations with 35 hubs in the coming months.
Kochi Metro Card-The Kochi1 Card:
The Kochi1 metro card is launched in collaboration with Axis Bank for the Kochi Metro. You can enjoy various facilities and features, including direct access to Kochi Metro with a discount of 33% on trip passes purchased for traveling in the Kochi Metro.
Beside metro-related benefits can also enjoy other things such as shopping, traveling, and dining. This happens in one metro card and is used in any online or retail store. It isn’t the best. Well, it is one of the best features of the Kochi Metro.
Interesting Facts About Kochi Metro:
Some interesting and lesser-known facts below this are as follows:
- Kochi Metro is India’s 8th inter-city metro rail project.
- Phase 1 cost 6218.14 crores spanning 25.16 km in the Kochi metro.
- KMRL is the operator and authorized to manage the Kochi water metro project implementation.
- It is the first metro project with an advanced CBTC (communication-based train control) system.
- Phase 1 of the Kochi Metro was completed in less than 4 years and is a record time.
- Kochi Metro has state-of-the-art facilities such as an auto fare collection system, services for differently-abled, free wifi, and more.
- This metro is eco-friendly, as it practices solar power to meet a quarter of its electricity.
- Every sixth pillar of the metro station has a vertical garden that uses recycled waste.
- Each station has specific features for differently-abled people, such as engraved walkways and tactile tiles for the visually impaired. A wheelchair system is also available as an elevator with braille and an auditory system.
- The Kochi Metro is under high-security systems like advanced CCTV and more.
- Has CBI (computer-based interlocking system) for better communication and signaling with protection and warning system built-in
- Fibre-optics cables like SCADA, train radio, and public address (PA) systems are incorporated into the telecommunications infrastructure.
Kochi Metro Updates:
Metro Terminals Three water terminals have been built in three localities, namely, Kakkanad, Vyttila, and Eloor, by KMRL. These are fully equipped and ready to use by June 2022. And others will be completed soon.
Water metro services The KMRL intends to launch its first water metro service on the bustling Vypeen-bolgatty-high court route soon. With 23 boats for the service are provided as the KMRL handles it by Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL).
Kochi Metro: Contact Information:
The contacts of the Kochi metro are below:
Office address: JLN Metro Station, 4th Floor, Kaloor, Ernakullam 682017
Phone numbers: 0484-2846700, 0484-2846770, 1800-425-0355
Frequently Asked Questions:
A: The ticket fares for Kochi Metro Rail vary based on the distance traveled. The minimum fare for a single journey is Rs. 10, up to Rs. 60 for the maximum distance. Additionally, various types of passes are available, such as daily passes, monthly passes, and student passes, which offer discounts and convenience for frequent travelers. The fares are affordable and reasonable, making it an ideal mode of transport for people of all backgrounds.
A: Yes, Kochi Metro Rail has several facilities and amenities to cater to the needs of differently-abled passengers. The trains have wheelchair ramps, grab handles, and priority seating for people with disabilities. Additionally, the station has tactile tiles to guide visually impaired passengers and trained staff to assist passengers with disabilities. The station premises are also designed to be accessible, with elevators, escalators, and ramps. Kochi Metro Rail is committed to providing all its passengers an inclusive and comfortable travel experience.